Saturday, September 08, 2012

Propaganda

Propaganda.

Weird sounding word.  Used in 1622 as part of a Latin phrase by the pope in addressing foreign missions.  Used in WW1 as a term for information propagation.  In WW2 it became derogatory.  I remember a sort of owl like creature on posters warning about Nazi propaganda.  I may be misremembering. 
This photo is Gran Quivera, under the pope's propaganda and abandoned almost before it was completed.

My concern is that our presidential candidates are nothing but over-blown bags of propaganda.  What would happen if they were to reasonably evaluate past mistakes, regardless of party, and reasonably propose ways of improving?

All four  candidates sound like school yard bullies to me.  Every now and then I hear a 'man in the street' interview that is more sane, more reasoned than anything that comes out of the speech writers' minds and the candidates' mouths.

How about thoughtful, careful analyses of the real problems that confront us, and reasoned, intelligent proposals for ways of dealing with them?   Is the truth so awful that we cannot confront it?  I don't think so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home