Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fear of Puff Pastry


I had been tip-toeing around the idea of trying to make puff pastry for quite some time, but I feared and anticipated failure.
I did not want to deal with yet another blow to my self respect.
But I bought the unsalted butter.
I had flour and water
and that's
about all you need.

Tonight I decided to give it a try.
When the little rounds of pastry were in the oven,
I turned on the oven light and saw them
crouching flatly on the cookie sheet.
Failed again.
Then something happened.
This was a test batch of four, and two of them
toppled over because
they
puffed themselves so high!

I shared them with the dogs and
we were all agreeably satisfied except I feel
as though I just drank a bucket
of warm lard.

It may be 1:30 a.m. but I am enjoying a slug of
Starbucks Colombian
to celebrate.

The rest of the pastry waits in the freezer.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home